Scott's Health Update

 Good Day!

We thought it would be easier to update our family and friends on my old blog instead of blasting on Social Media. 

Where to begin? Summer of 2021 Scott had traveled on a Navy ship for work. When he got home, he had lost about 25lbs and showed me a lump that seemed smaller than a golf ball on his upper thigh. He went to his GP who got him in with a surgeon to take a proper look. They recommended removal. Scott wanted to wait until the new year to deal with the finances. 2022 came and went. While we discussed going to get it checked out, it was never a priority. Spring of 2023 I made Scott go to a new doctor to get it checked out (I'd watched loads of Dr. Pimplepopper and assumed it was a lipoma.). The Dermatologist recommended he see a surgeon. Scott had forgotten who he had seen in 2021 but both his GP and Dermatologist pointed him to the same Surgeon - Dr. Diane Winters (Who we will forever praise and recommend.). She took a look and recommended the removal. 
April 10th Scott went in for surgery. 

*All about Me - when I saw Scott dressed up in a gown in pre-op, I had a PTSD moment. In December 2022, I was called to visit my Dad as friends said his health was failing. I showed up at 11am to see him in a similar position, same color hospital set up. He passed that evening. To say I was in my feelings April 10th, is an understatement. 

The word we got from Dr. Winters was everything went well. Best Case Scenario.  I took that to mean we wouldn't have to be concerned about the biopsy. I was relieved and full of hope. This moment of peace is something I would come to rely on as my anchor of trust that Scott would be alright. 
2 weeks later, Dr. Winters got a hold of us (apparently we don't answer our phones as she had tried every day that week) and kindly told us that the diagnosis was Hodgkin's Lymphoma. She was recommending us to her own Oncologist, Dr. Paul Dang (Who we will also forever praise and recommend.). 
Diagnosis: Hodgkin's Lymphoma Stage 2a. He was sent to Dr. Paul Dang - Oncologist. 

Scott went through the standard testing: blood labs, CT and PET Scans. 
First Visit to see Dr. Dang 

Lung Center for Test

Second Visit to Dr. Dang

*Backstory - A couple years ago, Scott was tested for a gene known for blood clotting. He was tested by Dr. Paul Dang. The familiarity has brought comfort! 

*All about Me -- I had a plan to go to Toronto to receive an award on behalf of the Kassen family for my dad's 53 years in Ministry. I found out Friday and left a week later. The week in Toronto was good for me. I was able to establish my heart in what I know to be true. God is a healer. Health is a promise already given to Scott. After the waves of fear settled, I came back from Toronto confident in who Scott is as a Child of God and how this was going to play out. 

Scott took the diagnosis well. He immediately went to trusting God. He wins whether he lives or dies and goes to heaven. I would love to say I took it well,  I did not. I immediately reached out to Pastor Allen Speegle who immediately spoke wisdom and truth to me, "He's healed in Jesus name!". I borrowed Pastor Allen's faith that night. I believed that Pastor Allen believed. That was enough for me that night. *It's ok to lean into someone else's faith if you don't have it. That's what community is all about. If you are facing a mountain you can't climb on your own - don't. Reach out to those who have already climbed and helped others climb mountains.*  

If you are reading this, you know me and my pursuit of a healthy relationship with God through Jesus with Holy Spirit living inside me/us. In Acts 19:11-12, it tells of "extraordinary miracles God did through Paul, so that when the handkerchiefs or aprons that had touched his skin were brought to the sick, their diseases left them". Pastor Allen wore a handkerchief that Scott has been wearing every day. We are believing, standing firm in what the scriptures say is true - it's true for us today. I can't say that I understand it, but I believe it. 

I'm going to be super honest and tell you a lot of my thoughts and feelings. I was all over the place and at peace - all at the same time. If you've never been told - it's ok to feel more than one emotion at the same time. They do not negate each other - it makes you human. I am very human. I felt all the feelings. I knew God was going to take care of me and the kid regardless the outcome. I panicked and still have moments of panic about his life, quality of life, finances, the kids and how this would rob them of their innocence - J2 would never really remember a life without Scott being a cancer survivor. J1 & L would see their dad change before their eyes - how will that change the trajectory of their life? 

I leaned into a couple of scriptures.
Isaiah 53:5, “But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes, we are healed.”  This is a prophesy of Jesus. Repeated in 1 Peter 2:24 says, “Who himself bore our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness — by whose stripes you were healed.

John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

Mark 9: 23-25 tells of a story where a man who brought his boy to the disciples and they couldn't produce the miracle. The man asks Jesus, "if you’re able to do something, anything—have compassion on us and help us!". Jesus said to him, What do you mean ‘if’?  If you are able to believe,  all things are possible to the believer.” When he heard this, the boy’s father cried out with tears, saying, “I do believe, Lord; help my unbelief!”.  The boy was healed. 

I get the father crying out "I do believe, help my unbelief!". It's where I live on the daily. I'm confident of what the scripture says. I'm confident that I can hear God's voice and yet I know, I have doubt. And I want everyone to know that it's ok. We still win even if we have doubts - that's where faith/trust/obedience comes into play. 

May 15th, Scott was to have a port put in. They had him sedate, shaved and ready to put a port in. Dr. Winters as a reputation for being meticulous and cautious - and I'm so grateful. She noticed the vein and artery were beating at the same time (Apparently - that's not suppose to be). The did an ultrasound/sonogram and it showed arteriovenous (AV) fistula. While not uncommon, Scott had them on both sides. Dr. Winters stopped the whole procedure. they gave him a CT Scan. Dr. Winters met with a Vascular Surgeon to confirm a safe placement for Scott's port. We are forever grateful. This surgery could have gone bad quickly. 

We believed from the very beginning that Scott would walk this out healed. Scott believes Chemo is the path to take towards healing - so we chose this path. We put into practice what we were taught by Pastor Allen 8 years ago - put your faith in the process you HAVE faith for. Chemo was designed for healing. God is a God of many modalities to experience Him. 

We also believed that Scott's experience would not be just for him but for medicine. We believed this experience would not just save his life but the lives of others. Just based on his experience with his port - we know that 50+ medical staff have seen and heard of his situation and will be more aware when they help others of those little details that can make healing easy! We are continuing to believe that this experience will show other healing belongs to them, too. 

*All about Me -- Monday, May 15th will be a red letter day of God's faithfulness. I felt all the emotions from  - we-could-of-lost-him to look-at-God-showing-out! As I rode the rollercoaster of emotions last week, I have more confidents in who God is to Scott and I! 



May 19th, they put the port in. Scott has not had complications. 














May 22nd, Scott had his first round of chemo. Other than a few wake ups - switching IV's, walking to and from the car, up for a drink of water, snack and potty - Scott slept from 9:30 am through to 10am this morning. He woke up pretty clear (steroids are amazing!), no nausea (thank you, medicine!) and enjoyed Taco Tuesday with his friends. 

*All about Me -- It was hard to see Scott change from the strong alert man he is to a very sleepy, skin turning yellow man. However, the human body is amazing and his color looked much better today. 

The treatment plan is simple - 2 cycles of chemo which is Chemo every other week with blood labs weekly for 8 weeks. Thanks for agreeing with us that he is going to walk this out and be healthy for a long life. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Chemo Treatment!

3 weeks later...